This sport is one of only four sports that have been included in every Summer Olympic Games since the modern games began in 1896. This sport was also in the original Olympic Games in ancient Greece. Famous participants in this sport include Prime Minister Winston Churchill, President Theodore Roosevelt, General George S. Patton, and Singers Neil Diamond, and Jimmy Buffet.
What sport is it?
The only four sports included in every modern Olympic Games are: Swimming, Gymnastics, Track and Field, and Fencing. All of the folks named above were fencers.
- Winston Churchill, won a Public Schools Fencing championship in his youth.
- Harry Truman, fenced in his youth in Missouri.
- Theodore Roosevelt said in his autobiography, “While President I used to box with some of the aides, as well as play single-stick [wood version of fencing] with General Wood.”
- General George S. Patton Jr. competed the 1912 Stockholm Olympics in the Modern Pentathlon. He placed fifth overall. In 1913, he arrived at Mounted Service School in Fort Riley, Kansas. He became the school’s first Master of the Sword and taught classes in swordsmanship.
- Neil Diamond was a New York University saber fencer before his career as an entertainer.
- Jimmy Buffett, famous for his Margaritaville song, enjoys fencing.
NET CHECK IN’S:
A total of 30 people checked into the Net tonight and 2 of those got the correct answer to tonight’s question. Congratulations to:
- Thomas — KE6MSS
- Paul — K6SMO
A big THANK YOU to everyone for participating in tonight’s Net.