- He was the first President to be born in a log cabin.
- He was the first President to ride on a railroad train.
- He was the first President someone tried to assassinate.
- He was the first Governor of Florida.
- He killed a man in a dual.
Who is this United States President?
Andrew Jackson, the 7th President of the United States
- The first president to be born in a cabin was the 7th president, Andrew Jackson. In 1767, Andrew Jackson was born in a cabin on the Crawford plantation in South Carolina. This location, west of the Appalachian Mountains, made Jackson the first president elected from that side of the range, which was then still considered the wild frontier. Though the cabin no longer stands, a historical marker can be seen.
- The railroad system began to explode during Jackson’s presidency, and he became the first U.S. president to ride on a train.
- The first assassination attempt against a U.S. President was committed against Jackson. He refused to travel with a security detail, and it nearly cost him his life. In 1833, Jackson gave the order to fire a member of the Navy named Robert Randolph because of embezzlement charges. During a public event on January 30, 1835, Randolph aimed a gun and Jackson and pulled the trigger. The pistol misfired, as did another shot from Randolph’s second gun. By that time, Randolph was retrained and taken into custody. Had it not been for two guns malfunctioning, Jackson might have been the first president assassinated.
- When Florida was first acquired by the United States in 1821, future President Andrew Jackson served as its military governor, appointed by President James Monroe.
- Jackson lived much of his life with a bullet lodged near his heart. In a duel, he killed Charles Dickinson, but was wounded. The bullet could not be removed.
Tonight we had a total of 29 people check in to the Net and 7 people who checked in had the correct answer to tonight’s Trivia Question. Congratulations to:
- John – KD6JEV
- Roy – W6REH
- Mike – KJ6SBW
- Louie – AD6UP
- Murray – WA6USL
- Otis – NA6XR
- Fred – WA6YRE
Thanks to everyone who checked into the Net tonight.